Saturday, July 29, 2006

Maybe Little Pinch?

The problem here is simple: the world revolves around consumers. As advertising becomes more convincing, consumerism becomes more rampant. As consumerism becomes more rampant, the companies more avidly involve themselves in drawing in said consumers. It's a vicious, pathetic cycle. I'd love to say with the wisdom I've acquired over the last 24 years that I have not been ensared in the endless parade of money and must-haves...

But then I'd be a liar.

I'm one of the most rampant consumers of them all, and to make matters worse, I married another such as myself. We are dream customers; if you are enthusiastic about your product, we're likely to whip out the debit card faster than you can say purchase-protection-plan. Thankfully we've been smart in our saving and investing, and have jobs that amply support our consumerism, so it's never been a problem...

Until now. What happens when your consumer impulses battle it out with your moral objections?

Before I get further into this, I should explain something. I was born into the car business. My grandfather is one of the most well-know Ford salesmen in the state. My father writes trainings and presentations for General Motors products. I live and breathe American-made cars. I've always been taught to turn up my nose at the inflated prices of the imports. After attending a university where ever girl's daddy bought her a Honda Civic (complete with Roxy sticker in the rear window) I came to loath Hondas most of all. And then I saw this:



What is a consumer to do? My husband and I have been in the market for a new car lately, passively perusing our various options. After seeing this commercial, we began to feel a strange draw toward this goofy SUV that can only be described as resembling 1970's tupperware. We both vehemently detest Honda with every fiber of our beings, and yet the idea of owning this vehicle keeps sneaking its way into our minds. Could we too hold casual conversations with crabs were we to purchase aforementioned car? It's true, it would be useful in holding the surfboards (that we don't have) and going to the beach (which is 12 hours away). What to do, what to do!

To ease our consciences and perhaps talk ourselves out of it, we confessed our temptation to my dad. He, GM Guy of all GM Guys, proceeded to confirm that while it was overpriced, it was a decent little vehicle. Not what we needed to hear!

So we've put ourselves on hold, not allowing ourselves to buy a new car for another year or so. Every consumer needs a cooling off period, especially when the consumer is about to make such a detrimental purchase.

Notwithstanding, and quite against my will, I look with longing every time I see one pass me on the road. I keep thinking to myself, maybe someday. Maybe little pinch.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

"We both vehemently detest Honda with every fiber of our beings" - that's a pretty serious statement. Why the hate? Jealous perhaps of the superior Japanese automobile craftmanship, efficiency and longevity? There's a reason American cars are cheaper than foreign cars - they suck. :-P

Unknown said...

All I got to say is that our Honda Element has been the best! When I first looked at it's shoe-box-on-wheels design I thought to myself, "what crazed monkey half drunk on Windex would want to drive that thing?"
Then I was working at a dealership and it kept growing on me.

Why I became a crazed monkey half drunk on windex...
1. All wheel drive, perfect for the snow, gives me assurance my wife won't get stuck in the winter.
2. Versatility galore! Seats lift up, move out easily.
3. More head room than a hummer.
4. Decent gas mileage
5. doors open wide (great baby transportability factor)
5. I even like the way it looks now because not everyone has one.

The 1 thing I don't like is it only seats 4 but really, after you stick two car seats in the back who is squeezing between them anyway.